Can other devices be used on Blue Iris?

If you have any feedback or suggestions for the forum, please do so here!
newbee

Can other devices be used on Blue Iris?

Post by newbee » Thu May 10, 2018 7:09 pm

I have cameras with motion sensors but can I incorporate door sensors?
I need to be able to see that my elderly mother has closed the front door properly.

Many thanks

bosanci

Re: Can other devices be used on Blue Iris?

Post by bosanci » Thu May 17, 2018 3:13 am

Not sure if other can be added, but a full list of cameras are here:
http://blueirissoftware.com/technology/
U can add all if they have onvif or rstp link i think.
Pc Tower w/ Blue Iris and 14 Cam's. ;)

Sparks

Post by Sparks » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:55 pm

newbee wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:09 pm
I have cameras with motion sensors but can I incorporate door sensors?
I need to be able to see that my elderly mother has closed the front door properly.

Many thanks
Timely question. With an aging population and no simple products that can fill basic security needs.
Usually cameras that have alarm inputs use a simple closed contact to trigger the camera. I can't see how that would work in your example.

Thinking through this I considered a smart lock might solve your problem, but realized that the lock could be fully locked with the door swinging in the wind, not even closed. Not a good case for "smart" home security technology. These smart locks need to incorporate magnetic door contacts so the user can have certainty that the door is closed and locked. Royalties for this new product can go to the SPCA.

Options to consider might be Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi or Homekit sensors and a simple home automation server. I think Amazon's Alexa has a Zigbee hub built in so should be compatible with Securifi sensors.

terk

Post by terk » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:30 pm

We use a SmartThings hub and tied Blue Iris into it. This allows us to see the state of our door sensors (Zigbee and Z-Wave), locks, windows, switches, Sonos speakers, ... and we use the presence detection on the SmartThings side to control the profiles for Home, Away, Night, ... so that we don't have to open a port through the firewall and use OpenVPN to connect to the network to view Blue Iris remotely. We still get Blue Iris alerts, we just have to open the OpenVPN app and connect before clicking one of them to be able to watch it. An extra step but more secure. Probably more than you want to at your Mom's but it would work, although it would require another app on your phone to see the state of the devices connected to the SmartThings hub.

HeneryH

Post by HeneryH » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:47 pm

Using a door sensor event as a trigger should be available but I would think that the real value of the IoT Home System would be much better taken advantage of by just using that system separately rather than tying it into BI.

For instance in your example. I would rather just go to the Home System and check the current state of the door (one quick glance tells me status) rather than going to BI and searching the time bar for a trigger event that may or may not even be from the sensor.

I do see value in triggering video on a sensor, but there is SO MUCH MORE value in the home systems by having that system be visible as a separate system.

You can easily set up both systems to be visible through your router and if that is the only roadblock I'd be happy to tell you how to get both visible.