Anyone tried BI with the Reolink Argus 2 Wireless/Solar cams

Although you can find a list of tested and supported cameras at blueirissoftware.com/Technology, this is a good spot to share or inquire about what cameras have been most successful with Blue Iris for you with other users.
jennajon

Post by jennajon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:22 pm

Has anyone tried BI setup with Reolink Argus 2 Wireless/Solar cams?

i am in a fix where i need a true wireless cam for outside security and weather reporting.
If anyone knows of any other brands that work with BI and are truly wireless *meaning no outside power/wiring OR POE*
i would be grateful if the information was passed along.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

JJM :P

jennajon

Re: Anyone tried BI with the Reolink Argus 2 Wireless/Solar cams

Post by jennajon » Tue May 01, 2018 9:26 am

According to Reolink:

Sharon (Reolink)

May 1, 15:51 CST

Thanks very much for your email requesting information about our products.
No, it does not support a third party software, only the Reolink App and client software are supported.

Thanks in advance and look forward to your information.

Best Regards
Reolink Support Team – Sharon
Reolink Digital Technology Co., Ltd

bp2008

Post by bp2008 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:52 pm

I don't know how this is not obvious to you, but Blue Iris needs to be able to pull live video continuously, and modern battery powered cloud cameras would need their batteries replaced multiple times a day if you did that (this is one reason why they don't support third party apps).

There do exist some IP cameras with bigger batteries and large solar panel built-in for recharging, but they are all from crap brands that will drive you nuts with their unreliability and lack of decent support. Search "solar battery powered ip camera" to see what I'm talking about. To do better than those, you would need to set up your own solar panel, charge controller, battery (or batteries), low-voltage disconnect device (to protect the batteries when they start getting too low), a weatherproof enclosure for it all, all of this on top of the cost of a good camera and a wifi adapter because most good cameras don't come with wifi.

DroMike

Post by DroMike » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:55 pm

jennajon wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:22 pm
Has anyone tried BI setup with Reolink Argus 2 Wireless/Solar cams?
I haven't certainly but may have some info - it's a bit confounding (but I'm new to all this Blue Iris stuff). On Amazon, a Reolink rep indicated a month or two that no, this cam wouldn't work with Blue Iris (similarly mimicking what a follow-up poster replied here). However, I was perusing Reolink's pages and lo and behold found this page/article from them entitled, "How to Add Reolink Cameras to Blue Iris" and proceeds to claim that "[their cameras] are compatible with standard Onvif 2.1, [and that] you can use [them with] Blue Iris..." Can somebody reconcile the difference from them and others yay or nay?

https://reolink.com/faq/add-reolink-cam ... blue-iris/

Wabbit

Post by Wabbit » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:43 pm

I have two 411's. One is wifi. and a C1pro. I've had no problems with them and BlueIris. They have all been reliable for me. The wifi 411 is great because it covers my entire backyard with 5mp, has internal backup recording, and I mounted a directional antenna beaming its signal to a repeater. For the price, it was the only option I could find. The C1, feels like a flimsy toy and is noisy when it moves. But, it has worked none the less. Their software is nice with a pleasing UI design. Makes BlueIris look like it's from the 90's. This would have me kicked of some other site with their Asperger admins.

As for Argus, again, great product design, but I don't' like anything with a battery and don't like that this has been their only focus in the past year. Now needing a better PTZ cam for a baby monitor and other POE cameras, I'm jumping ship to do dahua and Hikvision. Seems no one has hit it out of the park with both form and function.
Being able to mix it all is the best.

karry

Post by karry » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:22 am

but i think solar charging is also a good way

VETACHNor

Post by VETACHNor » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:57 am

I try to add 4 D-link cameras to my Domoticz on Raspi

D-link 7010L
D-link 2310L
D-Link 932L 2x

Ive tried several things but no result sometimes I could see the image for a fraction of a second.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks for your reply

Bjorn

Sparks

Post by Sparks » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:09 pm

VETACHNor wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:57 am
I try to add 4 D-link cameras to my Domoticz on Raspi

D-link 7010L
D-link 2310L
D-Link 932L 2x

Ive tried several things but no result sometimes I could see the image for a fraction of a second.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks for your reply

Bjorn
Your post is off topic. You'll likely get more replies if you create a new thread with DLink or Domoticz in the title.

Delta13

Post by Delta13 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:19 am

Sorry, I just joined and saw the topic. Apologies for kicking a dead horse, but I have 2 Reolink RLC-410s plus an Argus and an Argus Pro. In case the point was missed:

Regular Reolink cams (POE, Wifi, Ethernet) work with Blue Iris.
Battery-powered cams like the Argus series do NOT work with BI.

While I fully understand why battery cams can't work with BI, it's a shame. Reolink will be a player someday but man, their software is buggy as heck.