CPU load reduction

Here you can share your experiences and discuss CPU and performance with other users.
SteveUI

CPU load reduction

Post by SteveUI » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Greetings.
Many people discuss reducing the CPU load when running BI, in particular by modifying the settings to prevent BI from re-encoding captured video. Many of you know that this is done on a per-camera basis in the 'Camera Properties' menu, under the 'Record' tab, by clicking the button in the far lower-right. Image:
The attachment Cam props Record tab cs.jpg is no longer available
My system (a dedicated PC) currently has 20 cameras recording quite a lot of activity (it's a busy environment). There's desire to add several more cameras to the system. The load on the CPU shows 99% to 100% and I've done numerous other small tweaks that are commonly mentioned to little effect, so I'd like to try this. We're currently experiencing less activity than we're used to so I think the computer is likely to hang if it becomes busier. In its current state I think that there's little hope of making the system work if more cameras are added. Although I won't rule it out, I would like to avoid adding a second computer, if possible.

I noticed that the File Format and the Compression settings are separate. Image:
Cam props Record tab cs.jpg
Cam props Record tab cs.jpg (39.13 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Presuming that I will keep using the same file format, I'd like to hear some general thoughts about how doing this affects file access, usability of the program, etc.

I also have a couple of questions in particular...
Will this prevent me from doing things such as looking at recorded clips while the system runs normally (recording footage)?
There's qualifying text shown next to the 'Direct-to-disk' selection that mentions things like 'ip or hardware encoders,' 'no rotate' etc. What is that telling me?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Attachments
Video file format & compression s.jpg
Video file format & compression s.jpg (38.35 KiB) Viewed 440 times

RAW

Re: CPU load reduction

Post by RAW » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:58 pm

All I can add is that I started with i7-8700k/16, I've followed all suggestions of readily known resource tweaks, and my CPU/RAM utilized on 55 cameras (60% 4mp) is 50~/9~. I don't know if that's great, but it does work for us. My prior 2 attempts with Blue started with inferior servers, and would not work no matter what I tried.

terk

Post by terk » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:08 pm

Direct-to-disc under Video compression in that second image will save you some CPU. You just won't have the option of overlays from BI but you can turn on overlays from each camera instead. You can still rotate the image if needed via the camera or options in BI, you cannot re-encode to say MP4 but you aren't doing that anyway and wouldn't want to since you wouldn't be able to view the recordings while they are still writing. I use Direct-to-disc for all of my cameras to save CPU.

SteveUI

Post by SteveUI » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:38 am

I must say that I'm amazed that you can operate 50+ cameras on one computer successfully. If I could have that much margin, I'd hope we would never have a problem because I hope we'd never need 50 cameras!

I have to admit that one tweak I haven't done (other than direct-to-disk) is to do the overlays on each camera. I find it very convenient that all of the cameras are synchronized. Moving to direct-to-disk will require that I use the on-camera overlays. Since we've grown this system over time and with product life cycles being pretty short, we have a variety of cameras that lose sync differently.
I don't have the time to keep them in sync. Others who rely on this system don't have the technical bent to mess with the system (nor should they per se), so I'll have to see if they have "outside" network access to reach time servers.
I'm sure that BI uses a fair amount of resources just writing all of those overlays on all of those camera views.

terk

Post by terk » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:02 pm

Set each camera to use an NTP source for time sync, if they don't have access to the Internet there are NTP server options you can run on your BI server. One NTP server option I've heard of people using but haven't tried myself yet is https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm

miker33

Post by miker33 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:20 am

terk wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:02 pm
Set each camera to use an NTP source for time sync, if they don't have access to the Internet there are NTP server options you can run on your BI server. One NTP server option I've heard of people using but haven't tried myself yet is https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm
I use this myself and it works great with the cameras on their own network without internet access.

RAW

Post by RAW » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:53 pm

I really like this local NTP suggestion. Think I'll institute on next site-wide change because it's always better to have to update 1 device rather than dozens.