Lowered my CPU from 30% to 3% using the FAQ

Here you can share your experiences and discuss CPU and performance with other users.
Mike.Bwca

Re: Lowered my CPU from 30% to 3% using the FAQ

Post by Mike.Bwca » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:03 pm

Your right. Unless there is information not provided by the cameras.

Always best to use the cameras overlays to save BI cpu. When using direct-to-disc it's necessary because BI overlays do not get recorded when using direct-to-disc.

I use 'Blue Iris Tools', and record the current weather conditions every minute. I use a 'black screen' and encode record at 2fps using the BI macro overlays. This way I can go back and check what the weather conditions were. And, I could use a video editor & chroma key to overlay the weather on any of the other cameras recording if I needed. I've attached a screen shot of the weather display from our latest storm. Used to also have the extended forecast and radar map updated every 5 minutes.
I encode this one only. All my cameras are direct-to-disc, with overlays from the cameras so they get recorded.

Why? For insurance reasons. One year we had a horrific summer storm that had torrential rain, heavy wind, and, large hail that destroyed the shingles, put holes in the siding, and, ripped the siding off the back of the house. The insurance company claimed these were from different storms that I was trying to get in 1 claim and I would need to file multiple claims! I sent them the storm reports from the news, but that didn't help.
Attachments
Weather1.jpg
Weather1.jpg (68.08 KiB) Viewed 251 times

SteveUI

Post by SteveUI » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:18 pm

RAW wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:25 am

Good info. 3% can be too much or nothing depending on system but my question is, why even use Blue's overlay? Is there a point? I've never seen an advantage in it.
This is a valid question that has (I'm sure) numerous answers, depending upon your situation. To some extent it's easier for me to work with many cameras if I don't have to log in to every camera individually. Working in the BI interface accomplishes that so it has some level of convenience. For our system, I haven't gotten a chance to sit down and take the time to reconfigure the overlays from BI to on-cam. This will take quite a bit of time and I haven't been able to get this to a high-enough priority. Excuses? Perhaps, but that's a couple of ways to justify the status-quo for our particular situation. We're not able to have an IT team handle this so the engineer (me) handles it. It's the way it is.

Anyway, a bit O.T. - I'm very pleased with the results from changing the 'decode' setting!

RAW

Post by RAW » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:55 pm

I'm all for configuring one device instead of many, but don't we have to log on to every camera to turn overlays off anyway? I think that's why I don't see a point in using Blue's. Default setting for all cameras I've seen is overlays on.

And then there's IP, FPS, and Time which I configure on all IP cameras. It's a pain but I'm logging onto them anyway.

BWB8771

Post by BWB8771 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:37 pm

RAW wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:25 am
Mike.Bwca wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:47 pm
Well, i think the % for BI overlays would be different for the amount of overlay. I've noticed that if I use the default BI time/date overlay it's lower 2-3%. If I use a lot of overlay, it's around 5%. That's on cameras that use Direct-To-Disc.
How I've tested this in the past is to disable all cameras, then enable one camera at a time and compare cpu usage with different overlays off/on.

I'm not sure, but I think the numbers would change if your encoding the camera... since it's already encoding, maybe the overlay cpu increase would be less.
Good info. 3% can be too much or nothing depending on system but my question is, why even use Blue's overlay? Is there a point? I've never seen an advantage in it.
This would be about the only case where it might have been better to let BI do the overlaying than the camera. Apparently the jackwagon in the screenshot paused right between "0" and "9" (lol) before getting in the truck and driving off. But, that shot was most likely from someone's Ring doorbell camera, and/or that's more an issue with camera placement, field of view, framing, etc.
Attachments
Nextdoor.png
Nextdoor.png (117.36 KiB) Viewed 227 times

SteveUI

Post by SteveUI » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:35 pm

RAW wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:55 pm
I'm all for configuring one device instead of many, but don't we have to log on to every camera to turn overlays off anyway?
I'm not disagreeing with you. Probably the important distinction here is when I mentioned 'status quo.' When I add a camera to my system, I have to deal with the settings for that one camera. That's a big difference than going over 25 of them. Again, neither of us is wrong. Situations we're in are a culmination of many things that have led up to our current state. I expect to get to it at some point, and I'm sure that I'll see the benefits of doing so.

jaggles

Post by jaggles » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:08 am

Just checking back with an update a couple of months in...

CPU is still around 3%, everything working smoothly. The only noticeable difference this setting seems to have made is when live-viewing the BI console.

I have 4 cameras, and before the change all 4 feeds would show smooth in 15 to 30 fps(I forget the setting, but the live video was perfect for monitoring). After the setting change, all 4 camera show in what appears to be a very low frame rate (which I believe is exactly what this setting change was intended to do). Still enough to monitor what is going on, though, so definitely worth the trade off to save the CPU.

Also, once a camera detects motion, the live view immediately changes to a high frame rate again, and motion is perfect. Of course, the CPU jumps a few % which is expected during motion and recording.

So, for me, it is a perfect setup, and I'll be keeping these settings.

EDIT: I should add that this in no way impacts recordings, remote viewing, the app, etc. It only impacts looking at the live view of the camera in the BI console. Additionally, if you 'select' one of the cameras (i.e. click it to make it the active selected camera) that will also cause it to stream in a smooth frame rate.