Trouble connecting to Blue Iris server

Discussion regarding the Blue Iris Android application
vskwong

Trouble connecting to Blue Iris server

Post by vskwong » Wed May 16, 2018 4:40 am

I am having difficulty connecting to my Blue Iris server through the Android app. When I was on mobile connection, I was getting "Unable to connect" messages when I tried to connect. I had to repeatedly press the connect button. After a few times, it would eventually connect. Depending on the situation, it could be 10 times, 15 times and sometimes not at all. Once it's connected, I had no problem viewing live or recorded video stream. I did not have this problem using the Wifi connection inside my home. Does anyone having the same problem as I do? How to solve this?

HeneryH

Re: Trouble connecting to Blue Iris server

Post by HeneryH » Wed May 16, 2018 1:26 pm

I'm stumped by the fact that you eventually get in after multiple attempts. In my experience it is either fully/always working or fully/always not working.

williamsclocks

Post by williamsclocks » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:17 am

I am experiencing the same problem. I'm running 2 BI servers. One at my house and the other at my father's. My father's house is one that has intermittent connection problems. Intermittently it displays, "Cannot find server." When I know it does exist and I can connect remotely through VNC. So this tell me that it's not the DDns, ISP, or anything in between. The problem is pointing at BI. I will be upgrading his server soon and will perform a clean installation WITHOUT copying the .reg settings into the new machine. I will report back with results of the new server login operation.

BTW - my server login process works fine.

HeneryH

Post by HeneryH » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:16 pm

williamsclocks wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:17 am
...The problem is pointing at BI.
I don't think your logic necessarily points to BI being the problem. There are many potential errors. Are you using Stunnel for encryption? Are you using any other software apps on the machine? How did you set up your home router for port forwarding?

I did experience intermittent connections once but it was because I incorrectly had both stunnel and nginx running as my reverse proxies.

RAW

Post by RAW » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:53 pm

I witnessed this on my very 1st Blue setup. The issue was with available resources. With the CPU running so often at 100% there were times it was difficult to remotely log in, although I could do so locally.

blindpanic

Post by blindpanic » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:19 am

I am having the same issue. Connectivity is highly intermittent even when other mobile data apps work fine. If I spam and spam It eventually connects. Did you solve this?

TrevG

Post by TrevG » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:08 am

I was having the same issue some time back.. Now some say that you should run through a VPN, because its much safer. I needed some that would work with none techy people (in-laws, wife, bandwidth, etc).
The thing I found that worked and fit the bill was .. change the port... by default it's 8081 .... change it to 8080.
That is an web port and you may get some people trying to ping you, but you do have the black list option to limit this...

1. click on options
2. click web server tab
3. down click the port setting from 8081 to 8080

*** Black list is under advanced in the same screen... but you can play with that later... lets get you viewing!

4. OK out of options
5. log into your router/ports
6. change/disable port forwarding for 8081 and set it to 8080
7. edit device app 8081 to 8080
8. test...with wifi off

On the CPU issue... try turning down "Live view preview rate" fps to 5 or less... this is for desktop viewing... not really needed if you spend 80% time remote viewing.
1. click on options
2. click on camera tab - mid page
3. OK out

Best of luck
Trev