New User - Few Questions

Although you can find a list of tested and supported cameras at blueirissoftware.com/Technology, this is a good spot to share or inquire about what cameras have been most successful with Blue Iris for you with other users.
darbos

New User - Few Questions

Post by darbos » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:04 am

Hello, I just purchasesd the Blue Iris software today after reading about it all over the internet the past couple months. I have 3 differnt camera systems within my house, 16 cameras. I have a few questions I was hoping blue iris or a fellow user would help me out with please:

- I have looked around but havent been able to find a whole lot of documentation, can you point me to some if they exist?

- Where do you configure the motion settings, like which cameras and sensitivity.

- I believe I seen around here that you can enable boxes to be drawn around motion, how can I do this?

- Is it possible to add any facial detection/recognition?

- Is it possible to get notifications on an Android phone without the app?

- Are there any advantages to using the app over web access? My phone connects vpn back home the second it drops from my wifi(i only use my house wifi from my phone, its either home wifi or mobile data)

- Curious, the apps traffic is encrpyted right? (meaning no vpn from my side, just on cell service with no active vpn)

- Im running Blue Iris on a Win10 VM, 6cpus and 24g. It runs on a ssd, but I have a 2tb mapped drive for recording. That 2t is another datastore i just mounted a second drive to the vm, that datastore is an nfs mount from unraid. Thinking back, I probably should have installed this on server16. Do you guys recommend I move it to server16? Is there any plans to add a linux version?

- Is it possible to access a stream from blue iris that displays the camera with recent motion? So basically a url that will show 1 camera but switch that camera automatically when motion is detected by any camera?

Thank you so much,
da

HeneryH

Re: New User - Few Questions

Post by HeneryH » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:33 pm

darbos wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:04 am
Hello, I just purchasesd the Blue Iris software today after reading about it all over the internet the past couple months. I have 3 differnt camera systems within my house, 16 cameras. I have a few questions I was hoping blue iris or a fellow user would help me out with please:
darbos wrote:
- I have looked around but havent been able to find a whole lot of documentation, can you point me to some if they exist?
All of the documentation is in the app help. There are some great video tutorials at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Ajp7ZH8CWB which will cover most of the below...
darbos wrote:
- Where do you configure the motion settings, like which cameras and sensitivity.
In each camera, Camera Settings - Trigger - Motion Sensor
darbos wrote:
- I believe I seen around here that you can enable boxes to be drawn around motion, how can I do this?
In each camera, Camera Settings - Trigger - Motion Sensor - Highlight
darbos wrote:
- Is it possible to add any facial detection/recognition?
Not for this tool. Avigilon might do that but you'd be talking about a $10,000 system.
darbos wrote:
- Is it possible to get notifications on an Android phone without the app?
You could use email, without the app, I am not aware of any other way.
darbos wrote:
- Are there any advantages to using the app over web access? My phone connects vpn back home the second it drops from my wifi(i only use my house wifi from my phone, its either home wifi or mobile data)
The app is pretty friendly to the small screen. Personal preference.
darbos wrote:
- Curious, the apps traffic is encrpyted right? (meaning no vpn from my side, just on cell service with no active vpn)
I believe it is just using http calls to operate so you'd need to configure BI to use SSL through either stunnel or nginx. I have used the nginx solution with free Lets Encrypt certificates.
darbos wrote:
- Im running Blue Iris on a Win10 VM, 6cpus and 24g. It runs on a ssd, but I have a 2tb mapped drive for recording. That 2t is another datastore i just mounted a second drive to the vm, that datastore is an nfs mount from unraid. Thinking back, I probably should have installed this on server16. Do you guys recommend I move it to server16? Is there any plans to add a linux version?
Extremely unlikely to port to linux. Like 0.000%. I have no comment on Win10 vs Server.
darbos wrote:
- Is it possible to access a stream from blue iris that displays the camera with recent motion? So basically a url that will show 1 camera but switch that camera automatically when motion is detected by any camera?
I'm not aware.
darbos wrote:
Thank you so much,
da