Signal lost

General troubleshooting of the software
fhwong

Signal lost

Post by fhwong » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:11 pm

I am a new user to Blue Iris. Was using the Hikconnect app, but finally tried the switch whilst I had time over Christmas. It has been good and now I am considering building a server and going the whole hog!

I have two cams and twice a day at around 8am and 4pm one of the cams loses its signal.

When I look on my iphone app it tells me that the signal has been restored.

Usually it is cam 1. On one occasion over the past week it has been the second cam, and on one occasion it was both cams.

Any ideas? It is very strange.

Mike.Bwca

Re: Signal lost

Post by Mike.Bwca » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:35 pm

Some information about your setup would be helpful.

- Camera types. Brand/model.
- Are the cameras connected wireless?
- Camera locations in your home, and, how far from router(s).
- How many routers do you have? Type, speed, location in your home.
- Do you use any switches?
- If using wired connection, what cable type? Cat5/Cat6.

When this had happened to me, my one camera that I had connected wireless, was just too far from the router, and would occasionally disconnect and reconnect. I added another router as an access point, and now I have full signal thru out my home and property.

You can tell if the camera signal is weaker if the fps reduces. Open BI status/Cameras, and watch. You can also use a overlay temporarily, so you could see the fps after the fact.

fhwong

Post by fhwong » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:08 pm

Thanks

Info as follows:

- Camera types. Brand/model.

Hikvision 8MP domes

- Are the cameras connected wireless?

All wired

- Camera locations in your home, and, how far from router(s).

Outside. But all wired so shouldn’t matter?

- How many routers do you have? Type, speed, location in your home.

All wired direct to HIKvision POE switches. Then wired to a Netgear Orbis.

- Do you use any switches?

Yes Hikvision POE

- If using wired connection, what cable type? Cat5/Cat6.
Cat 5

Kolan Koala

Post by Kolan Koala » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:58 am

Try upgrading the camera firmware. Also check your network switches, again firmware, had same problem - a faulty switch that would lock up or go slow.
Last edited by Kolan Koala on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Server upgrades are like bad tasting Eucalyptus.

fhwong

Post by fhwong » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:01 am

Thanks. I will double check the switches but I had done already and nothing seems wrong with them.

I am on the latest firmware. In fact my firmware is newer than what is shown on the HIKvision Europe website!

Kolan Koala

Post by Kolan Koala » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:04 am

Could also be cabling - too long or faulty plugs or pinched somewhere along it, or rodents chewing on it. (no joke) Id start with switch firmware and check cabling runs and plugs. Got to be a network issue. Could also be power supply issue on those cams or switches, a voltage spike or drop. Maybe aircon or other machinery starting and stopping messing up the power supply. Just a matter of narrowing down the problem until you find the root cause.

Kolan Koala

Post by Kolan Koala » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:14 am

You say the issue occurs every day at 8 and 4 so its got to be something affecting the power supply at those times.
Or the camera is rebooting at those times. Because its configured to do that or the power supply is causing that.

fhwong

Post by fhwong » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:35 pm

Yes. It is weird. Has to do with software.

Both cam are reconnecting everyday around 8am and 4pm. Never the exact same time, but roughly around that time.

Does Blue Iris control any of this rebooting? Or is it only on the Hikvision camera control?

I really doubt I have this turned on as it has only happened since I changed to Blue Iris.

I have no other high current drawing equipment that are set in timers. I don’t have AC.

The only other thing I just thought of is that this is probably around the time it changes to nightvision mode??

Could this be the cause? And blue iris thinking it is a loss of power as it changes mode??

Mike.Bwca

Post by Mike.Bwca » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:12 pm

I wouldn't think BI is reading night vision switching as signal loss.

Your POE switches.. are they managed or unmanaged? If managed, do you have a switch port setting on that specific port that would cause this, like power saving, priority, reset...?

At this point, I'd take the Flintstone approach (rock & chisel)... swap the cat cables between the 2 cameras to wherever there plugged into (POE switch?). If the issue remains with the camera then it's not network. If it follows the cable switch then it's something to do with the network.

fhwong

Post by fhwong » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:23 pm

THe cams are both losing connection at roughly the same time and they are both plugged into the same switch.

The switch is unmanaged.

I might get another switch and try that. It is very strange.