Do I need to add a video card?

General troubleshooting of the software
hammertonail

Do I need to add a video card?

Post by hammertonail » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:55 pm

I am having trouble viewing alerts on my outside cameras.

The server I am using for BlueIris is a PowerEdge R410.

The CPU and Memory never seem to be at high utilization, but when I attempt to view videos of the alerts it has trouble playing them. Either if I do it on the server directly, via remote session, or on the BlueIris app.

Video's are being saved to a WD Purple which is inside the same machine.

The camera is an Amcrest IP3M-956E

I have also tried to export the video using standard settings.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

idle0095

Re: Do I need to add a video card?

Post by idle0095 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:07 pm

hammertonail wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:55 pm
I am having trouble viewing alerts on my outside cameras.

The server I am using for BlueIris is a PowerEdge R410.

The CPU and Memory never seem to be at high utilization, but when I attempt to view videos of the alerts it has trouble playing them. Either if I do it on the server directly, via remote session, or on the BlueIris app.

Video's are being saved to a WD Purple which is inside the same machine.

The camera is an Amcrest IP3M-956E

I have also tried to export the video using standard settings.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.
You do not want to use a video card because it will not support quicksync. What processor is in that R410? The CPU should have onboard video but it may not support quick sync. You do not want to use any video card because of quick sync. Quicksync helps with CPU usage.

idle0095

Post by idle0095 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:11 pm

I believe your having the issues many have. Your CPU usage is getting pegged hard when you view the cameras using the App or streaming them with say UI3. Its because the encoding is happening and your CPU can not keep up. Need to know some things.
1. what is the cpu usage when at idle. Average.
2. what is the cpu usage when you are logged in remotely.
3. did you read the steps on how to reduce cpu usage?
4. how many cameras do you have and whats the FPS and resolution?

Useing a cpu that supports quick sync will help a lot. Using direct to disc for recording will as well. Are you recording continues or only on motion?

hammertonail

Post by hammertonail » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:04 pm

First arrow is when I remoted into the box and started up the application.

Second arrow is when I started viewing a stored video directly on the box. It ran for 5 minutes.

The Third arrow is when I started viewing a video on my cellphone through the BlueIris app. (on the home network)
Midway through I clicked on a button I've never used before which apparently downloaded the video I was watching. That file saved near the last arrow.

Note that the memory graph is an available Memory graph. So the lower the value the more memory used.
I store all kinds of data, so if you want a different graph just ask.

I never assumed this was hardware related. So I never spent any time optimizing that.

I have 6 cameras.

3 Amcrests outside. That record continuous. When I view the alerts I get about 15- 20 FPS. It seems like the shorter alert videos work much better than the longer ones.

I have one old Panasonic in the basement that only records motion (I can view this on both) Typically gets 2 - 3 FPS and maxes out the camera. at 640 x 480
One newer chinese EZVIZ camera in the kids room that records only motion. (I can view this on the computer and the phone) Typically 12 - 15 FPS at 1280 x 720
And old IZON camera in the office. (I can view this one on both. ) Typically gets 15-20 FPS at 640 x 480

All 6 are H264

Using the "Stats for Nerds" viewing window for the Amcrests

Viewport : 1210 x 757
Stream Resolution: 1920 x 1080

One has:
Native Resolution: 3840 x 2160
The other two are:
Native Resolution: 2304 x 1296

I remember that the Driveway camera is a different model now.

I built a quick "disk read precent" graph and it spiked up to 1.25% while I was loading the first time. But settled afterwards

sspeed

Post by sspeed » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:28 am

A CPU spike of 25-30% wouldn't concern me.

But... I'm not sure a Poweredge R410 is your best choice. That has, what, a Xeon 5500 series? One or two physical CPUs? A Xeon 5500 has a Passmark score of just 5387. A desktop with an Intel I7-6700 would have almost double the the computing power, use less power and allow you to use QuickSync. A Passmark score of 5387 is pretty slow by today's standards and could be the reason you are having issues.

hammertonail

Post by hammertonail » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:19 pm

E5620 2.40 GHz Quad core hyper threaded cpu
12GB ram

But if it never even approaches 80% CPU or Memory why am I concerned about the hardware? This is an honest question. I don't understand.

HeneryH

Post by HeneryH » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:10 pm

hammertonail wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:19 pm
But if it never even approaches 80% CPU or Memory why am I concerned about the hardware? This is an honest question. I don't understand.
Electrical power usage and headroom would be the only near term concerns and expandability as a longer term consideration. Some forum members (here some but more so elsewhere) hold religious zealotry levels of importance to this topic.

sspeed

Post by sspeed » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:59 pm

hammertonail wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:19 pm
E5620 2.40 GHz Quad core hyper threaded cpu
12GB ram

The passmark score on that is 4810, pretty low by today's standards.

To give an example, I had a large video production project file. I had two quad core machines, one newer, one older. Both hit around 80-90% CPU during rendering, neither were fully 100%. One took 4 hours to complete, the other took 8 hours. I work with older and newer Enterprise level servers all day long. Old servers can be running well below 100% CPU and still be worlds slower than a new one.

If it's not CPU or system resources, then what is it? An easy way to test is disable all cameras but one and see if the alerts play smoothly.

SteveUI

Post by SteveUI » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:26 pm

Interesting thread. I can make a couple of observations. I think there's little question that encoding and/or re-encoding is a resource-intensive task. If you choose to encode everything to MP4 or H.264 and some of your cameras are recording continuously,* your computer is going to be pretty busy.

Another thing I noticed is that you might realize some benefit by checking the Limit decoding unless required box on all of your camera properties.
www.blueirissoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2368

I noticed that when I enabled the web server on my system (for example), the load on the system increased dramatically. It would not have been able to handle it (for sure) had I not done some of the suggestions found on this forum to reduce CPU utilization because I was running 97% or more.

*is it worth rethinking the necessity of this?