Conversion Utility Really Important

Please use this forum to make any comments or suggestions regarding Blue Iris.
speedracer

Conversion Utility Really Important

Post by speedracer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:11 pm

Recently purchased Blue Iris and overall I'm very pleased. I have used iSpy for last few years and Blue Iris is a significant improvement. I understand the benefits of using .bvr for the video file format but I'm really disappointed that there is no standalone conversion utility. In my case, all my vides are recorded to the cloud and I get notifications. Using the .bvr, I'm not able to view the files. Of course, I probably could purchase the Blue Iris app but I've got multiple devices (iPhone, Android, etc.) and don't want to have to do this software for each device. Also, if I don't have a device with me, I'd like the ability to use any computer/device to look at my recordings. It is not like there is a lot of new development as the conversion code exists inside Blue Iris program so it is just a matter of porting it to an app. I hope someone at Blue Iris reads this forum and will consider the implementation of a conversion utility for the .bvr files.

speedracer

Re: Conversion Utility Really Important

Post by speedracer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:51 pm

As mentioned, I'm a new BI user. Looking at all the menu tabs, I discovered that I can access my system/recordings with any browser via my WAN IP (after port forwarding is setup). Just tried it and it works as advertised. So this gives me some of the capability that a conversion utility would offer but it is really not an optimal solution. Let's say someone breaks into my house and steals my laptop running BI. In such a scenario, the Browser won't have a running BI to access but my recordings are all still available in the cloud. So in this situation, the only way I can see to view my recordings, is to download BI to a new computer. This is not what I expect from a company selling a professional security system. In fact, rather than provide your own conversion utility, the ideal solution would be to provide the ability for VLC to open and play the .bvr format.

sspeed

Re: Conversion Utility Really Important

Post by sspeed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 pm

You could always choose not to do direct-to-disk and allow Blue Iris to transcode to a new format such as MP4, you'll need a powerful CPU for that though.

If your biggest worry is someone breaking into your house and stealing the laptop, then hide the laptop. Even if your recordings were saved to the cloud, you could use another instance of Blue Iris to convert them later.

Honestly I don't watch videos at all by scrolling through the folder and double-clicking files. I watch them in the Clips frame of Blue Iris, much more powerful.