What mini PC would be suitable for running Blue Iris?

Here is a great place to discuss hardware experiences with other Blue Iris users, and where you can give each other feedback on what you have had the most success with.
sspeed

Re: What mini PC would be suitable for running Blue Iris?

Post by sspeed » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Grab a screenshot of the video screen of a couple cameras just to give an idea.

Also look at the camera properties in Blue Iris and verify that "Limit encoding unless required" setting.

What i3 do you have currently? Just curious on the Passmark score to get an idea.

You can "tune" a lot of the stuff you mention out with zones, different make times, etc. I still get false alarms too from things like the sun coming and going, but I tune out trees, etc.

Porc

Post by Porc » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:04 pm

My PC is a i3-2100 @3.10 GHz

"Limit decoding unless required" is not checked on any of them.

As for tuning out stuff for false alerts, it's limited in what I can do. If I block out the trees, the trees still cast a shadow in the lawn and the moving of the tree shadows actually triggers it. Another problem I have at night is the road... I can block out the road but not the headlight spill-over across the yard.

sspeed

Post by sspeed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:10 pm

Sweet, so the Passmark score on your current system is 3691. Whatever system you seek out look for at least that or higher in the CPU. It's also worth revisiting your camera resolutions and framerates and potentially bumping those up with a better system.

What are your make times? You can tune some of that out by tuning make time, but you have to be careful as you want to detect faster motion too.

Porc

Post by Porc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:53 pm

I think the make times are at like 2 seconds? I'd have to go check.

One thing I pondered was whether I should get a camera that has a built-in IR sensor so it only alerts when the IR sensor detects motion. I noticed those are much more reliable. I used to have some cheap SafeLink IR sensors that would alert a device in the house, and they rarely false alarmed.... they would pick up the occasional cat, possum or raccoon that wandered by, which is fine since I actually do like seeing those. I guess BI supports cameras that support IR, although I otherwise know nothing of it.