Network Speaker

General discussion of the software on topics that may not necessarily fit within any of the other forum topics available
MTGTNT

Network Speaker

Post by MTGTNT » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:29 pm

I have been searching for a couple days now and normally I can find what I am looking for but this one has eluded me.

I am moving the server for which BI is installed to my basement. So it will be a bit too far away for when I am sleeping on the second floor if the alarm is activated during the night.
What I was thinking of using is either a wired or wireless Network Speaker (IP Speaker) that I can now place on the second floor, maybe even by my bed so that if the camera is triggered during the night, I can hear it.
As it stands now, I just have a cheap pair of speakers plugged into the output of the motherboards build in sound device. Works well due to the fact the server is in my bedroom. This is the reason I am moving it, its just too loud as the server is now for Plex and BI and a couple other tasks.
I can find many many Network Speakers, but what I can't find is how do I get it to work with BI, or at least set as the default sound output in windows. I am not going to buy one until I can find this information out.

Anyone able to assist with this?

Mike.Bwca

Re: Network Speaker

Post by Mike.Bwca » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:55 pm

This will let you accomplish what you want WITHOUT purchasing an IP speaker.

I have this setup in my living room, so that I know whenever someone walks into my driveway, up the front walk to my front door, backdoor, and areas next to my house. It's possible to send a sms/email/push to a phone. But with all the other phone notifications, these alarms can get ignored.

All you need is a spare IP camera with a built in speaker.

Add the camera to sound the alarm... (This camera will only be used to sound the alarm. It will not be used for video or motion)
1. Add the camera. Name it 'Bedside Alarm'.
2. In the cameras 'General' tab, define and add a new group 'Bedside'.
3. Turn on Webcast & Audio.
4. Turn off Motion, Recording, 'Create Alert Images', Pre-trigger... You don't need any of that (Unless you want it), just audio.
5. In the cameras 'Alerts' tab, check 'Sound an alarm using PC or camera speakers', then click 'Configure...'.
6. Choose an alarm.
7. In Output, check 'Send to camera speaker'.
8. Under 'Timer' uncheck 'Wait at least' and 'Loop'. If the sound is too short, check loop at set length of time.
9. Click the 'Test' button. You should hear the alarm on the camera.

Now to setup the trigger(s).... (This is the camera(s) that will sound the alarm on the camera you just added)

On each camera you want to sound the alarm on the 'Bedside Alarm' camera...
10. In the cameras 'Trigger' tab, check 'Trigger camera groups', and click the 'Select' button.
11. Select the 'Bedside' group you previously added in step 2.
Repeat steps 10 & 11 for each camera you want to sound an alarm on the 'Bedside Alarm' camera.

That's it. Place the 'Bedside Alarm' camera next to, well, your bed! I have mine in the living room and I can hear it thru out the upper level.

If you have more spare cameras... (I have about 12 older cameras I no longer use, that I use for this type of alarm)
Set up multiple cameras to use only for alarms. Setup multiple alarm groups. Then set cameras to trigger those groups, each with a different sound so you know what it being triggered.
For example...
Record an alert then your voice saying 'Driveway', and, 'Front Door' - Or download audio clips online. Use those audio files instead of the BI ones.
(I just have the one)

You could have profiles setup to switch this on/off, or, for different sounds on a schedule. Maybe you want a louder sound during the day or evening when there's more noise, and a lower sound at night so you don't hit the ceiling in a panic when it goes off! lol

Oh, as far as the video goes. i tried using Screen capture/Blackness. But that default the sound the the computer speakers. So it looks like you need the video. Just set the camera to the lowest resolution, and but tape over the lens. You could also plug in an adapter to the mic so noone could listen in.

Mike.Bwca

Post by Mike.Bwca » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:10 am

I failed to mention...

The volume of the camera was too low, so I used a spare pre-amp PC speaker. I used only 1 of the 2 speakers, and I can set a comfortable volume.
If you choose to use external speakers, you can get a set of pc speakers. Just make sure you get a set that gets it's power from a wall adapter and not usb.

MTGTNT

Post by MTGTNT » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:44 am

By the time i got to reading step 9 I was exhausted. All that to hear the alarm?

I am new to this and have no extra cameras let alone any of the current cameras having speakers.

I do have a simple 2.0 set of powered speakers already connected and after reading your reply came up with an idea of making them wireless. First I thought of getting a bluetooth dongle for the server and a bluetooth speaker. I then looked up the range I would get with that and there is no way it would get out of the server rack cabinet and go through a 20cm wall at an angle, then a 50cm floor, then another 20cm wall and then another 50cm floor. I did a test with my phone and an old handsfree set i had for the car. It didnt work very well. So I started searching for a set of bluetooth transmitter and receivers.
Found many but found this one the most interesting: http://www.homespotdigital.com/long-ran ... apter-set/
Then I thought, maybe there is 2.4Ghz like baby monitors use.
Found many like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4GHz-Hifi-Wi ... QV46MueU3A

Would still like to use a network speaker, but one of these would work too and it gives me the option to move it anywhere.

Mike.Bwca

Post by Mike.Bwca » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:06 am

I understand.

Here's a solution using your cell phone that is a lot simpler, AND, will save you money and the hassle of a IP speaker. Makes my IP Camera Speaker solution obsolete. I didn't think to mention this before because you specifically asked about a IP speaker solution.

1. I have an AOL email account that I use only for Blue Iris alerts to my Android phone.
2. In BI Options 'Email Servers', I've defined an AOL email entry.
3. In 2 of my cameras, I've setup an Alert 'Send an SMS text message' using AOL to my cell phone carrier. I use a different 'Subject' for each camera, with no text. For example, both cameras send a subject of 'Motion: &CAM'.
4. On my Android phone, after I received the first sms, I saved as contact 'BlurIris Alerts' and added it as a favorite.
5. I changed the SMS notification sound of 'BlurIris Alerts' to a StarTrek communication chirp so I can distinguish these from all the other email's & sms's.
6. In the Android 'Do Not Disturb' settings, I changed 'Messages from' & 'Calls from' to Favorites. What this does is when 'Do not disturb' is turned on (which is most of the time for me), I will only hear ringtones & SMS notifications from entries in my Favorites.

I usually always keep the phone near me so I can be alerted if anyone approches my house, day or night.
You can also set the specific SMS contact to override the total privacy mode.

Mike.Bwca

Post by Mike.Bwca » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:10 am

An even simpler solution...

Enable and use 'Push notification' to your cell phone.
Booya - done.

RedIris

Post by RedIris » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 am

MTGTNT wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:29 pm
I have been searching for a couple days now and normally I can find what I am looking for but this one has eluded me.

I am moving the server for which BI is installed to my basement. So it will be a bit too far away for when I am sleeping on the second floor if the alarm is activated during the night.
What I was thinking of using is either a wired or wireless Network Speaker (IP Speaker) that I can now place on the second floor, maybe even by my bed so that if the camera is triggered during the night, I can hear it.
As it stands now, I just have a cheap pair of speakers plugged into the output of the motherboards build in sound device. Works well due to the fact the server is in my bedroom. This is the reason I am moving it, its just too loud as the server is now for Plex and BI and a couple other tasks.
I can find many many Network Speakers, but what I can't find is how do I get it to work with BI, or at least set as the default sound output in windows. I am not going to buy one until I can find this information out.

Anyone able to assist with this?
Have you looked into a USB over IP adapter? - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004ZMYCRG combined with a USB audio adapter? - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8 and some cheap computer speakers? - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07D7TV5J3

It can be tricky to find one that acts as a "generic" USB versus something more specific like only printers. The one linked seems to be generic but doesn't specifically list audio. So to be clear, I just quickly searched for the "parts", but haven't set this up or used these specific gadgets.

My past experience with network USB servers is that they can be fiddly and not all of them will support audio. I haven't touched one in years though.

Assuming it works, the USB audio adapter would just be listed in WIndows as another audio output, dealt with as usual.

If you can run a network cable, then I'd go with an ethernet USB extender - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01EV33R8S no drivers or special software, to windows the USB device is physically connected and works however it normally would.