Recommended microphones for IP cameras

Although you can find a list of tested and supported cameras at blueirissoftware.com/Technology, this is a good spot to share or inquire about what cameras have been most successful with Blue Iris for you with other users.
tchnt

Recommended microphones for IP cameras

Post by tchnt » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:41 pm

The vast majority of cameras has no built in mic, which is really missed. There's always scenarios where we need to listen to the environment around a camera. Such a cheap feature, it's hard to believe that's still neglected.

Which *good*, branded microphones that you guys would recommend by experience?

Mike.Bwca

Re: Recommended microphones for IP cameras

Post by Mike.Bwca » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:39 am

All depends if the cameras you want to use them on are IP or BNC.

I have IP ptz cameras, and had the same experience. There are many inexpensive (cheap quality) mics avail. I tested a few, including a lapel mic, and gave up on those. I was going to test a small amped mic, but then found at the bottom of my spare bin an old pc mic from years ago. It turned out it gave very impressive results.

Mics are 'Labtec AM-240'. They are, of course, no longer manufactured. Got 4 of them one Bay, new, for $6.80 each from seller 'poweruniversal'. Only need 2, the other 2 are for spares. They have long leads, I think 8', which is perfect for placing them outside. And the mic can be snapped into a holder, and the holder can be screwed/stuck into wherever you want the mic mounted. Sometimes I turn the mics on hear the birds, and, rain, to relax.
20190417_230720.jpg
20190417_230720.jpg (44.01 KiB) Viewed 59 times

As a test, I cloned a few cameras and set them up to only 'audio trigger' and record, Works excellent. I can hear bird chirps! Some neighbor close by has a wind-chime! I can hear peoples voices around my house, and to a lower extent, further away. Also, vehicles passing on the street.

Also purchased a large pack of 60 foam windscreens for on Amazon for $8.99, which you can see off to the side. Why so many? These mics are placed in the outside area of windows between the glass and screen, so there partially protected. But, I expect I'll need to change the windscreens when they get weathered and old.

sspeed

Post by sspeed » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:06 pm

Here is the one I have and it seems to work ok. I have to turn gain up to about 150%, but it picks up talking, car noise, birds. They have some amplified versions as well that might be better.

http://www.etsnm.com/microphones.html#ml1-s

tchnt

Post by tchnt » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:22 pm

I've found Microseven M7WP-MIC also, which seems to be a really good one.

Does it really needs a power supply to work? No equivalent with no PSU?