Blue Iris desktop client

General discussion of the software on topics that may not necessarily fit within any of the other forum topics available
Angela2801

Blue Iris desktop client

Post by Angela2801 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:08 am

I would like to run BlueIris on a dedicated server without attached screen and connect to it via LAN from a desktop computer to monitor and manage the cameras.
I am aware of connection methods like android/ios apps and the built in web server but none of these have the same functionality and picture quality as the full client.
I have also tested the software via remote desktop connection but the stability, picture quality, refresh rate is not sufficient.
I’ve found this hacked solution:
BlueIris software as a "client viewer"
But this seems to be very far from the perfect solution.
Has anyone a better method to use BI as a desktop client?

Mike.Bwca

Re: Blue Iris desktop client

Post by Mike.Bwca » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:05 pm

I think your definition is incorrect. BI desktop cannot be used as a 'client viewer' of another BI desktop server. Bi has no streaming protocol, other than to the Web UI. What your accomplishing with running 2 BI desktop is that your connecting twice to each camera from each BI server.

How is this a hacked Bi setup?
And, how are you connecting one BI desktop server to another BI server to view it's cameras?

wseaton

Post by wseaton » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:41 am

BI's web console is very, very good in terms of functionality. In fact, it's one of the selling points of BI. My managers with very little tech savy can rapidly navigate dozens of cameras and hundreds of hours of data and zero into a specific event without the aid of event stamps with astonishing speed. BI developers did a superb job of this. Police have used my BI web console to look for events and have commented on how well it's designed.

However, I also see what Angela's getting at. Normally I just use TightVNC to remote control my BI server (RDP is too clunky and too slow even on a LAN), but the quality issue is nagging.

BI needs a mode with the web console where I can see the same quality as the camera stream with no reduction in quality. I know that streaming profile 0 is supposed to adjust this, but I don't see why I can see the same quality of camera stream from the web console as I can directly accessing a camera. If it's on a LAN I could care less about bandwidth. When viewing multiple cameras I can see this would require BI to do a lot of processing, but when viewing a select camera from the web console there needs to be a mode where I'm seeing as close to the raw camera footage as possible.

I think a big issue with this is native H265 support in browsers is problematic, and that's the format everybody is moving to. Transcoding 1080p camera streams from H265 to H264 likely takes a lot of system resources on the BI server.

Mike.Bwca

Post by Mike.Bwca » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:34 pm

wseaton wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:41 am
...BI needs a mode with the web console where I can see the same quality as the camera stream with no reduction in quality...
I agree. BI does not have a streaming protocol for a dedicated BI viewer. Other Security software have this, as well as the webserver.

I have the BI android app, which is as close as you can get. Having a desktop app would be good.

wseaton

Post by wseaton » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:49 pm

Maybe a mode where the camera's RTSP stream gets relayed from the BI server without processing to web client. Same as 'direct to disk', but is direct to client for viewing only. Call it 'survellience mode' and only works when you want to view one cam at a time. However, this doesn't solve the decoding issues with H265.

You can't have more than one desktop client because that would mean the cameras will need to stream to those additional clients.

Mike.Bwca

Post by Mike.Bwca » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:18 pm

wseaton wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:49 pm
Maybe a mode where the camera's RTSP stream gets relayed from the BI server without processing to web client. Same as 'direct to disk', but is direct to client for viewing only. Call it 'survellience mode' and only works when you want to view one cam at a time. However, this doesn't solve the decoding issues with H265.
This is called 'streaming'. BI uses it via webserver. Most surveillance programs have there own streaming protocol, which streams the selected cameras internally on a dedicated port. Any number of 'clients' can view the same stream(s). Very efficient.
wseaton wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:49 pm
You can't have more than one desktop client because that would mean the cameras will need to stream to those additional clients.
Most cameras allow multiple logins. If you really HAD to have more than 1 BI program installed, each would be able to login to the same cameras. This would double the bandwith on the network.